Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Birthday Traditions? And...it's National Voter Registration Day!

Bitmoji Image

Happy National Voter Registration Day!  

I'm a deputy registrar for Will County, so when you're ready to register, see me!

Since yesterday was my birthday, it made me think about different traditions.  Growing up, I don't really remember going out for dinner or anything like that for birthdays.  I do remember that almost every birthday, my mom made me a confetti angel food cake with pink glaze.  It was my favorite and was reserved for birthdays only.  I also remembered that most birthdays my presents included a HUGE (Sam's Club size) jar of big green olives, and a bag of dried apricots.  They were faves of mine, and while I always got other presents as well, those were staples.  

My mom passed away when I was 23, so the tradition stopped there.  I'm an adult now and buy olives and apricots whenever I want, but....I haven't had confetti angel food cake with pink glaze in a very long time.  Maybe I'll have to make one for myself this coming weekend.  

Anyhow, the traditions in our house include the Birthday Fairy (she comes in the middle of the night and ties balloons around your bed and decorates the house and yard), you get as many presents as your age (this seemed like a FANTASTIC idea when they were younger, but 16 presents is difficult!), birthday breakfast, birthday dinner out at the restaurant of your choice, and I'll make whatever kind of dessert/cake you want.  

As predicted, we didn't go downtown to Greektown last night for dinner.  Also as predicted, we wound up at Lassen's and then some friends came over for the Bears game.  

What about you???  Do you have birthday traditions in your house??

No comments:

Post a Comment